Monday, March 19, 2007

My Bracket: Post-Round 2

After the incredible 30-2 first round on my bracket, things took a slightly sour turn with my second round predictions:



My two worst picks came out of the Big Ten. I seriously thought that my Hoosiers had a shot at the UCLA Bruins, and they came oh-so-close to proving me right. Details about that in my previous entry. I also thought that Wisconsin would breeze by UNLV in front of a friendly crowd in Chicago, but it seems like the loss of Brian Butch hurt the Badgers more than anyone could've anticipated. UNLV is playing like the Jerry Tarkanian-coached teams of yore and they never gave Wisconsin a chance.

The two results that surprised me the most came out of the East Region, where USC took down a seemingly invincible Texas team, and the Vanderbilt Commodores, in a game I had the distinct pleasure of attending, took out the Washington State Cougars after two overtimes. The effort by Vanderbilt was monumental, especially considering how the Commodores haven't played at this level in a very long time. I think the play of the game for Vandy came during the first overtime when Wazzu got a fast break in the final minute. Vanderbilt's star Derrick Byars raced down the court and blocked what would have been the go-ahead basket, helping send the game into the second, deciding OT period.

The last two mistakes on my bracket were a strong Virginia team getting one-upped by an inconsistent Tennessee team, and the fact that I had Creighton, first round losers, going to the Sweet Sixteen. In Creighton's stead, the Tigers of Memphis will face the toughest test they've had all season in Texas A&M.

In review, I had the play-in correct, went 30-2 first round, and a 10-6 second round, and I already have incorrect results for two Sweet Sixteen games. That puts me at 41-10 for this year's tournament. I'll come back some time during the week with a preview of the Sweet Sixteen.

No comments: