Thursday, March 15, 2007

How About a Rematch?

I'm not quite in the Cheap Seats right now, but I am sitting in front of the window of my hotel room, watching the Goodyear Blimp float gracefully over Sacramento's ARCO Arena. It's getting to be about time for Washington St. to play Oral Roberts up on Sacramento's north side. But that's not what I'm here to talk about.

Tonight at 6:45 local time (9:45 for you insomniacs out east), the seventh-seeded Hoosiers will be taking on the tenth-seeded Gonzaga Bulldogs -- a rematch of a 90-80 Gonzaga win in Salt Lake City's Huntsman Center during last year's tournament. I already gave you a bit of a preview of tonight's game a couple of entries ago. To reiterate: Gonzaga's best big man is awaiting trial for drug possession, so he won't be wearing a Gonzaga uniform for a while. Micah Downs has taken over fairly well for Heytvelt, consistently scoring 15-20 points in a game. However, this has been exclusively against West Coast Conference defenses. Not only did Indiana have a strong Big Ten-style defense to begin with, but they brought in Kelvin Sampson's tough style of defense. DJ White will be blocking shots, Earl Calloway will be pressuring defensively, and the rest of the guys will be rebounding.

Oh yeah...IU still has the best 3-point shooting in the Big Ten. Watch out for Rod Wilmont and AJ Ratliff in this one.

Alright, folks. I'm going to go back to my March Madness On Demand window (go to ncaasports.com/mmod for this wonderful service). I'll be back either tonight or tomorrow morning to recap the game.

No comments: